Monday 4 October 2010

Textured Tunic Mk II

October 2010

Around this time last year I made this christmas present as a trial run for the Textured Tunic I was thinking of making for myself. I loved the design, as with so much of Stefanie Japel's work, but I was a bit worried that it might not suit me too well. High necklines can be a bit hit and miss if you're shaped like I am.

Quite why it's taken me nearly a year to make version 2 is unclear to me - all I can put it down to is that there's so many delicious patterns out there that to make the same one twice over seems a bit of a pity. Still, when you end up with something as wearable as this, it's definitely worthwhile.

In making this version I did modify the pattern quite a bit. My version is shorter than it ought to be, and has neither the button-up seed stitch panels at each side of the hem nor the keyhole button-up detail at the neckline. They are pretty details, but there's only so much of my bra I can show off before I start to feel a bit self-conscious.


I expanded the box-stitch band so that it reached the bottom of my chest, and then went straight into some fairly pronounced waist shaping (4 decreases per round every 5th round 4 times over, 5 rounds even and then increased back up again).

This yarn is recycled from Francis Revisited which I frogged purely because it was getting much too big around the hips, and the cowl made it so warm that it didn't get worn very much. Because Francis seemed to grow a bit over time, I've made this a fairly snug fit to begin with. There's something very satisfying about turning one jumper into another.

Pattern: Textured Tunic by Stefanie Japel from Fitted Knits
Yarn: Sirdar Peru Naturals
Amount: Approx 7 skeins
Colourway: Machu Picchu
Needles: 6.00mm
Size: Smallest
On ravelry: here


2 comments:

  1. It looks lovely. Peru is so warm and snuggly. I too love this pattern and have avoided it because I wasn't sure how it would suit, but you have convinced me to take another look at the pattern and see how it could be "adjusted" to fit and suit my shape more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I know what you mean about making the same pattern again - when I finish something I often think of all the things I would do differently if I made it again, but in practice I tend to get distracted by new exciting things, so very rarely knit things twice.

    ReplyDelete