Wednesday 10 April 2013

White Hart

March 2013

It feels a little bit strange to be making something with a reindeer on it in April, even though the weather this year has been disappointing... Having completed this, though, I've decided it's not such a Christmassy-looking deer that it shouldn't be worn year-round. It looks just as much like a white hart as a reindeer to me, and given that that's a very common UK pub name (on account of having been the livery of Richard II), that's what I decided to call it.


Don't get me wrong - it would make a superb Christmas jumper, and thankfully it's a generous enough fit that I think he'll still be wearing it in 9 months. By next Christmas we should have a baby cousin, too, and I'm either going to make him a matching one of these or a Baby Norgi, depending on his mother's preference.

I fiddled with this pattern rather a lot - the original Reindeer pullover as designed by Jill Wick is a raglan sleeved worsted weight sweater with a raw-edged neckline. I'd never really thought about it much before, but there does seem to be quite a shortage of worsted weight yarns in the UK, and I guess it's probably because the market here favours dk instead.


I took the reindeer chart and transposed it onto another dk toddler sweater pattern I had which I thought gave a good result when I'd tried it previously - Shiri Mor's Pirate's Cutie Sweater. I could make that over and over with a million different motifs.

Pattern: Reindeer Pullover by Jill Wick
Yarn: Stylecraft Special double knit (MC) and Hayfield Bonus dk (CC)
Amount: 1.5 skeins / 0.5 skeins
Colourway: 1027 Khaki / 0961 White
Size: 18 months
On ravelry: here

1 comment: