Wednesday 22 July 2015

Chugga Chugga

March 2015

In one of the Thomas the Tank Engine stories, an engine called Percy notices some workmen wearing scarves and decides he would like one himself, to keep his funnel warm.

Repeated readings of that story taught my son the phrase "I want a scarf!" which he took great delight in repeating. Chugga Chugga is the pattern I chose for him.

George even attempted to help knit it (I let him stab at it with a spare DPN under close supervision). In the story, Percy winds up wearing the Fat Controller's trousers as a scarf, but it isn't anywhere near as racy as it sounds.


This was my second double knit project (the first was a Winter is Coming scarf). I love the way double knitting looks - the orientation of the pictures length-ways more than the more traditional width-ways gives a really interesting and elegant result. But man, does it go slowly.

Casting on, casting off, and edging resources are saved in my notes on Winter is Coming.

Now that the scarf is finished George has expressed a certain scepticism about wearing it, but then it is April. I'll give him another chance next winter before I go ahead and unleash hell.


This pattern was written for worsted, but I used 4-ply in order to make it more child sized. It's wide enough, I reckon. The 4-ply was leftover bits from this sweater.

My tension was an unholy mess, which I why I went down to 2.5mm, and even then it wasn't pretty. I might treat myself to a Norwegian Thimble next time I want to double knit something, because I love a gadget and it is supposed to help with tension. Thank goodness I used a yarn which blocked nicely.


My Dad has requested a matching scarf. Cute idea, but he can wait until Christmas.

Pattern: Chugga Chugga by Laura Chamberlain
Size: Toddler
Yarn: DROPS Fabel (blue) / King Cole Zig Zag (white)
Needle 2.50mm
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment