Saturday 8 December 2012

Meredith

November 2012

I've been working on an entirely-stocking-stitch XL cardigan since September, and it's boring the heck out of me. So I jumped on the opportunity to make this as a Christmas present, just so I could have a go at a bit of lace.


The lace pattern is written, not charted, but for a freebie pattern it seems churlish to complain about that. I thought the way short rows are used to make a nice round shape of the lace yoke was really clever, and unlike anything I've attempted before.

The buttons (from John Lewis, by the way) are supposed to be at the back, as far as I can tell, but I'd be tempted to try it the other way around, because they're so pretty. White and green is such a lovely combination.

I found my lace hem turned up on itself a little bit, but I'll put that down to the fact that I was very poorly when I was trying to finish this off. Blocking has helped a little bit, so I might have another go, although acrylic doesn't really have the same memory as natural fibres.


This is a great baby yarn - I've made quite a few things with it now, and it wears very well. Plus it's washable, which is pretty essential with baby clothes. I was toying with the idea of turning it into a jumper with a dragon on it for George (my little boy), but I think this was the right call. I reckon I should be able to find a more dragon-y green.

You know, it's high time I made something for me. Just as soon as I finished that damned cardigan...

Pattern: Meredith by Ruth Maddock
Yarn: King Cole Big Value Baby dk
Colourway: Nil 7
Needle: 3.5mm
Size: 2 - 3
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment