Saturday 5 January 2013

Lusekofte-sque Mitts

December 2012

Around Christmas time I found myself struggling to summon the motivation to finish off a cardigan so dire that it seriously made me think of giving up knitting rather than having to finish it. What a waste of a good yarn. It certainly won't be sullying my blog with its dreadfulness, because I'm too busy trying to forget to photograph it. It was what my mother wanted, but trust me, it was grim. The pattern isn't even listed on ravelry. And with good reason.

Anyway, to cheer myself up, I decided to make these mitts. I'd been meaning to recycle this into something more useful for some time, and even though that meant frogging, untangling and soaking the yarn, stretching it out while it was drying to take all the kinks out, and re-winding it, that was a far more appealing prospect than that bloody cardigan.


This a lovely pattern. My rendering of it isn't exactly perfect (I can see the ladders-between-DPNs, even if you can't), but as these are for me anyway, it'll do. I'm on a bit of a colour work tip at the moment, so I'm glad I started with something small to get back into the swing of it.

I also have decided that 4-ply is the perfect glove/mitten yarn, and that anything else just feels too bulky (at least that's my experience of dk weight gloves, but it could just be the pattern I chose...) And fingerless mitts are perfect for driving, which I've just learned to do and that's why I NEEDED these.


Because the recycling gave me a finite amount of yarn, I actually ran out before I'd finished. Luckily this is designed with top and bottom hems to make the mitts fit snugly to your hands, and it was only necessary to sub a.n. other grey 4-ply to finish off the top ones. The picture below demonstrates what I mean, and it's a good fudge, because from the outside you really can't tell. Yay me.


Pattern: Lusekofte-sque Mitts by Mary Rourke
Yarn: Recycled Debbie Bliss Rialto 4-ply and Rowan RYC Cashsoft 4-ply
Colourway: 22006/Cream and Thunder/Grey
Needle: 2.25mm and 2.5mm
Size: One size
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment