Friday 16 July 2010

Baby Cables and Big Ones Too

May 2010

Did you ever love a project so much that it make you consider giving up knitting, for fear than nothing will ever quite live up to it? I did, and this is it.

It's hard to know where to start with the why. It disproves the rule that busty girls shouldn't wear high necklines, for one thing. Felted tweed shows up texture bea-ut-i-fully. It's seamless and was made from to top-down which meant I could modify the heck out of it until it fit like a glove. It was a cheap knit because I used a discontinued shade of felted tweed which was on sale. And my husband says it's his favourite of all the things I've ever knitted.

I just wish I hadn't made it at the start of the Summer, to be honest!

There's a full write up of the modified shaping on my project page on ravelry, so I won't bother reproducing it here. On blocking, the felted tweed grew by about 4 stitches per 4 inches, which is a little more than I was expecting, but I still love the fit. I have masses of felted tweed stashed, though, so it's been an experiment which will come in very handy with future projects.

Pattern: Baby Cables and Big Ones Too by Suvi Simola
Yarn: Rowan Felted Tweed
Amount: 6 skeins
Colourway: 148 Sigh (discontinued)
Needles: 3.50mm
Size: 32.75" with bust shaping
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment