Wednesday 19 May 2010

Ladies' Cardigan in Click dk (Sirdar 8957)

March 2007

I don't tend to use acrylic yarns very often now that I'm old enough to know better, but my first adult sweater type project was tremendously acrylicy. Still, we all have to start somewhere, and I don't remember it being particularly horrifying at the time! I guess you don't really expect to learn to drive in a Rolls Royce, and by the same token any amount of yarn snobbery around this project is probably misplaced.

This wasn't a bad choice of pattern as a starting point - it was simple and quite enjoyable to make, but this was back in the days before I'd heard of ravelry, and I went for this pattern primarily on the basis that Hobbycraft, Leeds had enough of the yarn in stock. So in a sense I didn't chose it, it choose me...



The main problem with my earlier projects, like this one, is I wasn't very good at picking the right size to make or my checking my gauge and tended to go too loose and too large, which made for shapeless, unflattering results. I wonder whether many people overestimate the size they need when they're starting out.

In the end I could never seem to get it to hang quite how I wanted it to, and so I didn't get much wear out of it. Instead, it found a good home with a friend of my Mum.



Pattern: Sirdar 8957
Yarn: Sirdar Click dk with wool
Amount: 9 skeins
Colourway: 130 Cranberry
Needles: 3.5mm and 4mm
Size: 36"/38"

No comments:

Post a Comment